12 Steps for Overcoming Abuse
** from http://www.barbforgovernor.com/cgi-bin/D.PL?d=jhope.steps ***
1) We admitted that we have worth and power.
2) We came to believe that we were not responsible for our abuse.
3) We made the decision to make a safe and healthy life for ourselves and our children.
4) We made an inventory of the factors that led us into an abusive relationship and learned the behaviors of potential abusers in order to avoid them in the future.
5) Admitted that we can develop a safe, healthy and happy relationship with ourselves and others.
6) We learned to love ourselves.
7) We learned to trust ourselves and others.
8) We made a list of all the things we never intend to endure again.
9) We made a vow to live our lives the way we desire and deserve to live them.
10) Continued to watch for the signs we have learned that indicate we are involved with an abusive individual or that indicate we are in danger of being involved in an abusive relationship so that we may avoid both.
11) Seek through support, determination, knowledge and our own power, to continue to live safe and happy lives achieving what we are destined to.
12) Having experienced a personal rebirth by passing through these steps, we are now ready to carry this message of hope to others.